Friday, October 19, 2007

Today deputy chair, tomorrow PM.

Last night I attended the first meeting of the union council. I know that as soon as you mention student politics to some people they immediately switch off, and have visions of far left wannabe politicians playing little power games.

However, this is another opportunity to get some public speaking experience and start thinking about the way you construct a coherent and compelling argument. As you all know this is obviously excellent experience, as well as giving you a chance to make a real difference to the students at your uni.

I was on council last year, but this year I decided that I wanted to become more involved, and stood in the election for deputy chair. This meant giving a speech on why I would be so good for the job etc. etc. I am pleased to say that I won and will be in charge of any council meetings that the chair cannot make.

To top the evening off, a motion that I made a supporting speech for also passed, so a successful evening all round. I must dash, contract law seminar prep awaits.

1 comment:

Paranoid Pupil said...

I must admit to thinking student politics very lose to a complete waste of time - but as you say, any experience of advocacy is going to be useful. Just make sure that this isn't a prelude to becoming a Prospective Tory Party Candidate or anything silly like that - I know of a junior tenant who is a Tory councillor and although he got the tenancy it was a close run thing because the people in chambers thought that it was strong evidence of being a bit of a prat!