Thursday, August 9, 2007

Work Experience (2)

Pro bono. We all know that it is something that we should get involved in, but I didn't really like the sound of the opportunities that the Law soc at my uni were involved in. Thankfully there is a separate volunteering society at the university which has a website with details of all volunteering opportunities.

While browsing I came across a charity looking for "Housing Repossession Representatives". The description said that it required people to represent home owners at the county court during repossession hearings. So this gave me an opportunity to not only do something that would help other people (and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside), but also the chance to do real advocacy in front of a district Judge.

After going for an interview and being accepted I was initially asked to do some office work every week collating information on which local authority area each home owner was from, and which lender the mortgage was with. Fairly mundane but useful info for the charity and sharpened the research skills trying to find out with local authority was concerned.

About a month later I was able to go to the court and observe the other volunteers in conference with the clients, who your first contact with is on the day in most cases, and with the lenders solicitor. Usually an agreement can be reached which makes the hearings fairly straight forward, but sometimes this is not possible so it needs to be thrashed out in front of the Judge.

The next time at court I was there as the only volunteer with the solicitor who works with the charity. A lot of the cases I took the details and handed them over to the solicitor as they became a bit too complicated, but I was able to see two cases through to completion.

Both times I was able to come to an agreement with the lenders solicitor, but I still had to go in front of the Judge and explain the circumstances my clients had found themselves in and that they too believed this to be a fair solution. So nothing spectacular advocacy wise, but my first small step to actually representing people in real life legal situations. I am looking forward to my first case where I have to argue for the solution we want, although I am sure it will be extremely frightening and exhilarating in equal parts.

I hope to volunteer with the Free Representation Unit (FRU) in the future as well. The important thing is that I'm helping people as well as honing my skills and boosting the CV. Hope this has been helpful, and as always comments are much appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Grief, BOB, I am put to SHAME standing next to you! You are doing absolutely everything right - just keep going!! ( though do take care not to burn yourself out - be sure to have some time for you before the inevitable grind of your second year - what ARE you doing for your second year subjects, anyway?!

Bar or Bust said...

Next year is all compulsory subjects again so I think it is Tort, Equity, EU law and Contract. Choices don't come in till the 3rd year. I do the vounteering while I'm at uni. I did pretty well in my first year with three 65%'s and a 68% so looking to build on that. I do have a good social life though so I balance it out pretty well (my girlfriend makes sure of that).

Poppy said...

Hear hear LM!!

I can't believe all the stuff you are gettin done BOB! You are defo one the right track!!

I've joined FRU - I think lots of people do it nowadays - it is almost expected!! Still haven't got round to doing anything yet with it, though with people like you putting us post grads to shame, I better get on the case!

LL

JB said...

Hey, I'm enjoying your blog. What's the name of the charity that you were doing housing rep work for? I've heard of FRU, but I haven't come across an organisation seeking people to do housing advocacy. Thanks for any info and keep up the blogging!