Saturday, August 25, 2007

And the winner for best supporting actor is......

We received a note from the jury while they were deciding the verdict in the sexual assault case that I am clerking. They asked if they could have the transcript of the video interview of the complainant. Obviously this was not allowed, so the Judge told them that if they said which part of the evidence they wanted to hear, he would read it out to them.
The evidence concerned the description given by the 11 year old girl of her attacker. The jury went out and Counsel went though the transcript and identified the pages. The jury called back in and the Judge then said,

"I will read to you the interview, and from my voice you should be able to recognise whether it is the police officer or the 11 year old girl speaking".

For a split second I had a vision of the judge putting on the high pitched voice of a small girl and let out an involuntary snigger. This was not the case but he did put some real feeling and drama in to his performance. He had obviously missed his true calling.

Unfortunately the client was found guilty by a majority of 10-2 so not a particularly happy ending for him. However I have been told by counsel to apply for a mini pupillage at her chambers, as she thinks that I would gain a lot from it. This is a top mixed criminal and civil law set with a heavy leaning towards human rights issues, so some good news for me.

Sadly next week will be my last with the solicitors firm as the following week is a mini pupillage, and then back to uni. Till my next post, thanks for reading.

No comments: