Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A date with Vicki Pollard.


Today I had my first visit to a Youth Court. I was required to take a statement from a teenage girl whose friend had been charged with making intimidating phone calls to a witness in another case. The teenage girl in question has admitted that she did it, and that her friend was not involved.

I spoke with counsel and found out the dates and events I was to cover in the statement. I then had the pleasure to meet the girl. It was nice to see (I am not a snob by the way) that she had worn her best track suit for the day, and was already wearing a scowl with a Dagenham face lift (very tightly pulled back hair).

Within 20 minutes of statement taking in a small interview room, she was "too hot" and wanted to leave. I then asked her to stay in the waiting area as the Judge may call her at anytime. To this I got a dirty look and a sneer, and was totally ignored.

I followed her down and was asked "err why are you following me". I explained again that she had to stay in the waiting area and that she was here to help her friend, and that it wouldn't last much longer. Again filthy looks.

Her friend reappeared and I told her that she could not speak to her until after giving evidence. No more than 3 minutes later, I go down to find her, and she is stood talking and smoking with her friend. Reiteration of request, followed by a look that if it could have would have left a small pile of ash on the floor.

To cap off the day while giving evidence she uttered the immortal words "I ain't dun nuffin". To be honest she did do well in the witness stand, and she has been in foster care, so I can't be too harsh. I even got a thank you, plus the people skills learnt from the experience are priceless, so not that bad a day after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yer, but, No, but, Yer, but no, but - SHUT UP!! - Lisas best friend Nikki's Aunt Chanelles, Boyfriend Rock wuz had for Scratching his name on Westminster bridge which is like a Hanging Offence or somefin but they couldn't nick him cos he was off down the local Spa trying it on with Zoe who, like works there, who has long green fingernails and is completely horrid.........