Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm just not sure


These are the new civil robes to be worn by the judiciary. They are black with navy blue velvet trim, finished off with red bands. There is also no wig with these robes.
I am a very traditional kind of guy and one of the reasons I decided on going to the Bar is that the profession is so steeped in history and tradition. So part of me feels that it is a great shame that this change has happened.
However I am also practical and can see the argument that the old style of robes are impractical and inappropriate in civil law cases. So I am a little torn on whether I like them or not. Any comments are gratefully received and please vote on the little straw poll at the side.
All the best,
BoB

5 comments:

Workaholic said...

I do not like them. I do not care if Betty Jackson designed them. I'm just bitter I will never end up wearing a wig and gown, apart from when I'm called!

I haven't seen you at the 24 hr library of late! Where have you been? xx

Anonymous said...

I think that this is yet another in a long LONG line of truly ridiculous ideas promlugated by the ( already ridiculous) Department of Justice attempting to persuade the public at large that judges are really, REALLY in touch with them, Bro.
As I've commented on Charon's blog, what ever next? The Law Lords rapping their Speeches to a spot of Drum and Bass?!?!?!?
Good GRIEF........

Bar or Bust said...

I've finished writing my revision sheets so I have lately been hiding away in the law reading room memorising them for my exams. How is it going with you?

Minx I think that a spot of drum and bass style judgment reading might be just what the judiciary needs to bring it in to the 21st century..not! However I wouldn't make those suggestions too loudly or the Ministry might actually think it's a good idea.

P.S I sympathise with you that you won't be able to wear all the finery in the civil courts, but the big fat pay cheque from doing civil law cases should provide some cushioning to the blow.

Anonymous said...

Nope, BoB, I'm afraid that earning ludicrous sums of money for civil work will simply not be enough - I do want to dress up in the posh togs and I shall have a tantrum if I cant!!! Waaaaaaah!!!!!

Workaholic said...

Ah- it's not going so well on the revision front with me! Far too much procrastination!!! Also, various dramas of late. I will explain all when I see you. The Law reading room is SO distracting- I feel it's more a social hub than anything else!!

The pay cheque MAY cushion the blow, but this will not stop me complaining at dining sessions (while anyone on the table from Matrix will roll their eyes at how pretentious my want for a wig is) xxx