Monday, January 7, 2008

You can't win them all, but losing still sucks.

My apologies that the first post of the year is such a pessimistic one, and I shall hopefully return to my usual chipper self, presuming that the interview on the 14th goes well.

The reason I am a slightly blue BoB is that I had my first case where the client was served an eviction notice. I will not go in to the details as all information I receive is private and confidential, but suffice to say the interest rate rises coupled with the end of the fixed rate term had left them in an unsustainable position. The only option was to try to achieve as much time as possible to find a buyer.

Although the deputy district judge described my submissions as 'valiant' and told the clients that they could not have been put better, he only gave them 56 days rather than the six months I was asking for. This is however longer than the usual so a small victory from the ashes. The clients were obviously both upset, but thanked me for everything that I had done.

As with all work experience none of it is wasted, and I believe that I have learnt a valuable lesson, firstly about the law, and secondly about myself.

Firstly this has brought into sharp focus the fact that you cannot always win, and that eventually no matter how good you are, the odds will be so stacked against you that you just have to try and achieve something for your client, no matter how small.

Secondly it is has shown me that I am personally capable of dealing with this disappointment, and that I have a strong enough character to take the knocks when they come, pick myself up, and cheerily look forward to my next time in court.

Till next time
BoB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BoB,

I'm sorry to hear that your case didn't go quite as you'd hoped, but the key thing is that you stood up in court and acted , as the judge so eloquently put it, valiantly. The Barrister/Aspiring Barrister must be seen to be acting fearlessly for his/her client ( this is actually engrained in the Code of Conduct)and oyu seem to have done that in spades; you also secured a longer than usual period to allow for sale - a huge victory for the lay advocate!
Losses will occiaisonally cut to the quick, despite a personal ability to cope with disappointment, and at some times more than others - particularly where you believe a client is innocent or otherwise has a rock solid case, but must always be put into perspective; as long as you have always tried your very VERY best, no loss can be said to be a total defeat.
I think you are going to make a fantastic Barrister.

Unknown said...

Likewise, sorry to hear about the case outcome but it's a valuable experience that will no doubt make you a better barrister. I'm very excited to see how you'll do in the interview on the 14th since I was recently rejected from that MC firm. I'm sure you'll ace it with the wealth of experience and knowledge you've acquired over the past few years.

Bar or Bust said...

Thank you both for the words of encouragement, it is always nice to see supportive comments.

I am joining middle temple this year so am looking forward to dining.

I hope that you are right avid. I have bee researching the firm and reading the business press everyday for the past fortnight so should be able to speak fairly intelligently on most current business issues.

Anonymous said...

A WISE choice of In BoB! ( but then again, I am HEAVILY biased....)