Thursday, July 19, 2007

Introduction and apologies!

This blog, journal, online ramblings, or whatever you wish to call it, is one in a long line of many many many such sites of the same ilk concerned with the subject of pursuing a career in Law, and more specifically a career at the Bar.

If you have reached this far without dashing for the nearest button on your browser then I thank you most sincerely, and give yourself a hearty slap on the back from me.

The purpose of this blog is to chart my progression from a just finished first year Law student through to hopefully, and despite the horror stories that abound, achieving a tenancy at a chambers. You will share the dizzy heights (possibly but maybe more like passing moments of vertigo) and the oh so heart wrenching lows that may inevitably break my spirit and leave me a trembling, sniveling wreck.

As a means of introduction I will set out my life thus far…….

After leaving school with a clutch of fairly respectable GCSE results I joined the Army. Following a not totally horrible trip to Iraq, and a couple of years studying with the Open University, I decided that the Army was not the career for me and decided that I wanted to become a lawyer of some description.

After securing unconditional offers to two top 20 universities, I participated in a week’s mini pupillage and a week with a firm of high street solicitors. This quickly led to the conclusion that being a solicitor was not for me. I enjoy public speaking, and did not relish the idea of spending most of my time preparing a case to hand it over just when it gets interesting!

Since my first year I have completed another week’s mini pupillage, represented home owners in front of the district judge in repossession hearings, and attained 3 marks of 65% and one of 68% in my exams. I also reached the quarter finals of the university mooting competition, and was an active member of the union council. During the summer I am working for firm of criminal solicitors as an outdoor clerk, and am currently in the middle of a seven day rape trial on which more later (but obviously not exact details).

The reason I list this is not to brag, but to hopefully impress on anyone contemplating a Law degree and future at the Bar, that getting the required experience is something that needs to be thought about and started as soon as you decide that the Bar is for you. It is also wise to remember that your applications in your second year will need to list your first year results, so despite what you may be told, that first year does count.

My thanks to those that have persevered to the end, and I look forward to any comments.

2 comments:

The Vinthusiast said...

Welcome! Looking forward to reading all about your experiences... L2B :-)

Anonymous said...

hot-wallpaper

ytvg r / ey 95