Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Court Observation

Yesterday I was able to attend the Social Security Tribunals part of the ratification process to become a social security representative for the Free Representation Unit. Not only is this a very much needed service it is also a fantastic way to utilise those skills I have already learnt and develop my advocacy skills further.
The hearing was fairly short and I think the main lesson from the experience was that a well prepared written submission with good medical evidence is so important in appeals against a decision to not award incapacity benefits. This particular case was pretty much decided before the appellant had even entered the tribunal.
I now have only the final part of the process to complete which is an office induction, where I can also sign out my first case. Unfortunately the induction on next Monday and the next two are fully booked, even though I doubt all of those who have put their names down will either have completed the observation, or possibly even turn up. Unfortunately you can book the induction without proving you have completed the observation. This is annoying as I am very keen on starting as soon as possible.
The other part which doesn't make sense is that there only seems to be 8 places per induction. The induction day, however, is split into two sessions. The volunteer can pick which one to turn up to (morning or evening). Now they hypothetically could have to induct all eight volunteers in the morning, and then would have none in the evening. If they can accommodate eight people at a session (which they must have to as that is a possibility), why don't they just allow eight in the morning and eight in the evening and have 16 places per day?
In other news where I am not whinging, I have my Middle Temple membership card, and I have been suit shopping in some of the rather nice legal outfitters in and around Holborn and Chancery Lane. I have found a very nice navy blue herring bone three piece which is very tempting and I am going to try it on to tomorrow before the BPP pre-BVC mixing event. If anyone else is going let me know and I will look out for you.
All the best
BoB

4 comments:

simply wondered said...

frankly while very worthy FRU struck me as a complete nightmare. still, if you can get through their labyrinthine systems (and you seem most of the way there) it is something chambers like to see. you will find the bpp pro bono activities many and varied (and this from one who has been quite negative about much of bpp in my year on the bvc). i have done lots for the legal advice clinic and recommend it as a great way to get experience - show them you know what you're doing and you can represent clients in the lvt and rent tribunals. and jenn who runs it is really lovely.
enjoy - and very best for the bvc.

Richie said...

Careful BoB, next thing, you'll be wanting to judicially review the decisions of that tribunal, then where will the Criminal Bar be without you?

:)

Lost said...

There can actually be a bit of JR work if you go to the criminal Bar.. so not that different ;)

Richie said...

A "bit", yes. So miles different. Come to think of it, most criminal conduct also gives rise to tortious liability. So crime and tort must be the same, right?

:)