Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Barristers

To start this post I quickly want to mention what an absolute God send the BBC i-player service is.  This alone is worth the licence fee that most of the press having been bleating about following the Brand/Ross scandal.  The availability of this wondrous piece of technology allowed me to attend a poker evening last night, and watch the program this afternoon.

Right down to business.  I agree with barboy that there could have been a bigger concentration of the difficulties and bad parts of training to be a barrister.  It was, however, a fairly entertaining and informative program for those who know nothing about the bar.  For those of us who are already aspiring to be barristers and have half an ounce of sense (although this may possibly be an oxymoron), it didn't really proffer much in the way of new information.

I thought that the BVC students that they chose to follow were a little uninteresting and may have been chosen to give the impression of the Bar being a much more 'right on' and diverse profession than most people would traditionally think.  I was particularly unimpressed by the single male that was chosen, especially when he stated 'I mooted once at University, but think that it is better to do it here in front of real judges'.  If he had mooted more at University he might not have been so bad and lost on the night.

I think that it would be interesting if the next episode is mainly about pupillage to give a real insight into what to expect, with maybe a bit of a side focus on the very junior end of the profession.  We shall see soon enough.

All the best BoB

10 comments:

Minx said...

BoB!!! Where the DEVIL have you been?! Working Hard?!?! I hope all's well.
I fear that this programme will merely reinforce Joe Publics impression of the Bar as a place for spoiled and overprivilaged toffs. AD and GeekLawyer have both put up interesting posts about the programme and are worth a read in this respect.
For myself, I found the whole thing forced and artificial but then again, I am a cynical old bag.....!!

Mr Pineapples said...

An episode about pupillage would be as interesting as a forece guided tour around one's one living room

Workaholic said...

Hello stranger! Missing me at uni? It's strange. I'm not sure how I feel about the programme, though I am proud that MT was in it quite frequently. I watched this with non-lawyer friends and they enjoyed it. For those in law, it added nothing much. Still interesting though...

xoxo

Bar or Bust said...

Minx: Yeah I have been pretty busy but things are good at the moment. It's amazing how it all adds up what with applying for scholarships and the BVC and all that jazz.

Mr P: Helpful as ever and charming to boot.

Pimms: Of course I am missing you :) Hope it's all going well. How is the BVC? I will have to pick your brains about your provider as I still can't choose where to go.

Lost said...

Have you made a decision about BVC providers?

My referee has suggested BPP in terms of "resources".

ICSL - looked good the man i spoke to was very friendly. He taught evidence I think..

College of Law - heard no complaints about and Swizz seems to like it, also they take you through everything in the practical stage that it would happen... so I'm thinking CoL.. hmm

Oh and the programme was so boring that I would have rather dipped my nuts into liquid nitrogen than would have watched it!

barboy said...

Lost, not that I was smart enough to do it myself, but I would recommend you go to a student event at your Inn (which better be Inner, if you know what's good for you) and ask the current students. It is one of the few occasions when you will get students from the different providers together in the same place (and not just the tragic saddo types the providers wheel out for the open days). I know Inner have only very recently done such an evening specifically for prospective students, but I doubt they will mind if you ask to attend one of the more general student events (or, better still, just the drinks reception afterwards).

Workaholic said...

The BVC is awesome. See my blog for stories. I've decided to make my blog quite frank.

Email me. Do you have my address? BVC form's due in December if I remember correctly. Is the new Bar prez organising stuff round the inns. Let me know when you're next in Londres and we'll go for drinks

xxxx

Swiss Tony said...

Lost, I looked at all three in London, and felt that all three offered the same, all of their 'unique features' were shared by them all, so I spoke to the only other student I knew on the GDL, and he told me how awful CofL was and how fantastic BPP was.

Based on the fact that he was a complete and utter tosser, I went to CofL

Evidence to date proves that I was right, and he was a complete and utter tosser!

It did also occur to me that on the GDL, half the course slated the Uni, and others loved it. I was middle of the road, but it made me realise that you can't necessarily go by what others think.

Spend an evening in London over drinks with BB and I, and you will be guaranteed to slash your wrists and give up. As the evening progresses and we get to the lap dancing club, you will love BB, I will be your bestest friend, and you will decide to go to ICSL

swizz

Poppy said...

I've heard ICSL is dreadful these days (from practitioners and Students) and that the real contest is between BPP and CoL.

I went to one of the latter and it was great! Though all BVC's are annoying and have problems where ever you go.

Anonymous said...

I'm currently sat in a BVC negotiating lecture watching a young margaret thatcher argue inanely and at great length with a 12 year old scottish child. THE BVC MELTS YOUR BRAIN> AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Try plumbing.