Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Deepest apologies and I really am back

As I sit here in the library typing this post, I feel a huge wave of regret flood over me for neglecting my (few and far between) readers. I am now, however, well and truly back and looking forward to blogging again. In terms of my journey to the bar this is where the fun (or should that be nightmares) really start.

First on the list of things to do, which seem to be mounting up at a phenomenal rate, is filling in my BVC scholarship application form for Middle Temple. This is almost complete subject to a few final tweaks which were recommended by the careers advisor, and me filling in the financial information.

Picking up on this, I am shocked by how little awareness there is of this fact among the general student population. This is just another example of why getting to the bar is so difficult due to the lack of information passed down to students. I wonder when it will get through that not everybody wants to be a solicitor.

Following hotly on the heels of this will be many, many, many mini pupillage application forms/CV's winging their way to a multitude of Criminal Law sets. This is to:
  1. Network and find out more about the different Criminal Law sets for OLPAS; and
  2. Show an even bigger commitment to the Criminal Bar in general.

I am aware at this point that many will be shaking their heads, furrowing their brows, and possibly considering getting BOB committed for wanting to go to the Criminal bar. To those readers I would say worry not, I have pondered the question long and hard and come to the conclusion that I would not be happy practising any other form of law at the bar so I am willing to suffer a life of financial hardship, and give up on the dream of an Aston Martin sat in the drive.

Next, although this seems to be more of a formality than a hurdle, is to apply for the BVC. I am still torn between two providers (BPP and College of Law) at the moment so any advice from fellow bloggers will be most appreciated. I'm not going to repeat what I have said earlier about the BVC and who should be given a place but if you are interested it can be found here.

I am also this Saturday off to the FRU social security law day so that I can begin the process of becoming a ratified representative. A full report of the day will follow shortly.

Finally I have the national mooting competition which will be starting soon so that will increase my work load, on top of my final year subjects which are in case anyone is interested:

  1. Law and Medical Ethics
  2. Employment Law
  3. Discrimination Law
  4. Family Law
  5. Jurisprudence

As a final note I also wish to say how sad it is that Law Minx is no longer blogging. I wish her the very best, and am sure that she will (if she hasn't already) reach the nirvana of pupillage and tenancy.

All the best, BoB

4 comments:

Lost said...

How many options can you choose? We were only able to choose three and the compulsory shit that is jurisprudence, (still haven't got my head around it yet)

Have you managed to stay in contact with leading criminal set you did a mini at?

Law and medical ethics good choice! Which book have you got? The Emily Jackson one?

Lost said...

And are you doing OUP or ESU?

Bar or Bust said...

I think I am doing ESU.

On the point of staying in touch, I am never too sure what is appropriate. I err on the side of trying to make as good an impression on those that you shadowed and then hoping this filters back.

Its then really just a case of them remebering and you mentioning the members you shadowed on the 'why this chambers' part of the OLPAS form.

Barmaid said...

Depends what you want from your provider, lots of hard work and late nights studying, or a more relaxed form of BVC, with less work?

If you want to email me via my blog (with your email address), I'll let you know what my provider is like. I moderate the comments, so won't publish your email address.