Thursday, February 14, 2008

Victory for BoB

Loyal bog watchers the results are in for the final of the internal second year mooting competition, and as you may have guessed from the title of this post my partner and I won!!!

It was very close according to the Judge, although I was fairly sure that we had won, and indeed only one point seperated the teams. This did suprise me a little bit, as the other team relied on parts of the judgment in their cases which were given by dissenting judges, or at one point the argument of counsel. When I pointed this out to the judge in my rebuttal, it was met with a smile and a nod which certaintly did great things for my confidence.

Another reason that we won was the other team reading all of their submissions from pre-prepared scripts. So bad was this that even though in my initial submissions I conceded that the appellant could not succeed on a certain grounds, the lead counsel for the respondent spent half of her time explaining to the judge why the appellant could not succeed, because she just followed her script rather than change it.

This victory is however slightly tinged with sadness, as my beloved other half is jetting off to Australia this morning for five months as part of her degree course. On a plus side, my partner and I have been invited to moot externally for the university next year in the ESU mooting competition.

All the best
BoB

10 comments:

Lost said...

well done BOB :)
Sounds like you would have got some good kudoos for pointing out the dissenting judgements etc

A very good thing to put on your cv, did you talk to the judge afterwards and perhaps ask if you can sit in with her in court?

Bar or Bust said...

Thanks.

The judge was a really nice chap, and has given us his number to contact him if we want to go and sit with him in court.

Anonymous said...

O well done BoB - go straight to the top of the class and jump off!!
I think I shall be suitably terrified if we are ever against eachother in court!! :)

Poppy said...

well done!! Will definitely be asking you for tips when I have my second round moot!!
:-)
LL

Anonymous said...

this is a bit off topic BoB, and just to let you know that I've tagged you.
I hope your other half arrived safely downunder.

Bar or Bust said...

She got there safe and sound but missing home very much. I can't wait until she gets back.

Anonymous said...

Mr P,
There are times when you are a very BAD man y'know!

Bar or Bust said...

I'd really rather not lower myself to your level. This will be the only response you will receive from me until to you are more civil.

Anonymous said...

My Dear Mr P

A-HA!! Just to let you know I've tagged you on my blog - feel free to pass comment in your customarily unique and user friendly manner;since a tag is a bit like a Chain letter, it may be suggested that, in the event you do not respond to the aforementioned you will be forced to listen to the entire back catalogue of the Spice Girls in perpetuity while drinking an especially lurid cocktail of your own choosing...!!

Mr Pineapples said...

Hey Mr Boozer....you have removed the P messages. Ha what a joker you are.

P can understnd why removed them. The P perorations just show you up to be a shallow, beer sodden individual.

Not impressive at all.