Friday, February 22, 2008

A defence from an unwarranted attack

I suppose in all walks of life you come across people that obviously feel so bad about themselves that they feel the need to belittle and insult people to achieve a feeling of worth and importance. These people do not anger me, but merely invoke feelings of pity and sympathy for the sad little lives that they lead.

The attack which I mention in the title is that which was directed to my choice of favourite books, and more specifically my enjoyment of Harry Potter. We all have guilty pleasures and I am more than happy to admit that I enjoy reading Harry Potter. We are all but human and fallible. However to attack me because I am not pompous and don't fell the need to mention that I have read '100 years of solitude' and 'The unbearable lightness of being' to try and prove that I am intellectual is merely a reflection of your own insecurities.

Favourite reads means exactly that. A subjective question, not based upon your intelligence, but what you enjoy. There are many extremely clever people that will sit down and read a trashy magazine for enjoyment and relaxation, which has no reflection on their intelligence. If 'favourite' is based upon what you enjoy then Harry Potter has given me a lot of enjoyment and deserves to be on my list.

It is quite obvious from the posts left on other blogs that the person who has decided to ridicule me is actually a bit of an idiot. He never has anything nice to say about anyone, and I seriously doubt whether he actually is a barrister. If he is I would imagine he is the one in chambers that nobody likes, receives very few briefs, and generally blames his own failings on everybody else other than him. This is because if he did own up to his own failings he would probably top himself for being such a worthless cretin.

I am sorry regular readers that this is a rather off topic post but I will not be told that I am unworthy of being a barrister purely because I enjoy some lighthearted relaxing reading. The blog will return to my journey to success (hopefully) in the very near future.

12 comments:

Mr Pineapples said...

Oh! What larks.

Here's a tip Gandalf - when you're in the pupillage interview (and P hopes you get one) - don't mention Harry Pothole. It is hamrless fun -we all know what fun Harry can be -but it's just not impressive.

For a four year old - possibly - but not for a chap like you.

Gen up on some high brow reading material; pretend you have read some decent books.

Has P mentioned Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Try some. There's not many ghost wearing suits of armour, or Wizzards flying around on broomsticks - but he's a good read.

Try it.....just for the interview.

Mr Pineapples said...

That was a great tip P

Bar or Bust said...

Thus the reason I have this blog as anonymous, and wouldn't really see the need to mention Harry Potter in an interview.

By the way as you will see from the post I have read Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Mr Pineapples said...

You reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Aye Don't Fink So

SM said...

BoB,

I entirely agree with your views on Harry Potter (which I read avidly) and on what constitutes a favourite.

On the other hand, saying that something isn't worth your attention and then devoting a whole - off topic - post to it, simply flags up that your skin had been undermined. Deleting comments ditto.

You will have to get up with people disagreeing with you, and wiping what they say isn't a barrister's reponse.

I think Marquez is a one-trick pony personally. For a real examination of powerlessness and its relationship with good try 'The Last of the Just' by Andre Schwarz-Bart.

Bar or Bust said...

Thank you Simon, good advice as ever.

I admit that this has annoyed me more than I would have liked it to. I agree that deleting the posts was uncalled for, and I should have just ignored it completely.

I suppose the one thing that I can take from this is to develop a thicker skin, and not lose my cool when confronted by obnoxious people, a skill that I would imagine is quite useful at the bar.

Mr Pineapples said...

Abnoxious people? Oh! You little flatterer. You wait 'till you're in Court.

P looks at it like this: if you set up a Blawg for the whole world to see then expect happy comments but also some tough ones too. If you have an ego then deal with it.

It's been fun seeing your response and P is glad you are now getting some balls.

You are going to need them.

Bar or Bust said...

Thank you for the comment. I see your point and as posted above I acknowledge that I did not deal with this as well as I could have.

I do have a fairly thick skin, but this threw me slightly as the first time someone has attacked me on my blog for a pretty silly reason. I should have dealt with it with better humor, which is what I intend to do in the future.

If I can draw a line under this it would be great, and wondered if you have any constructive critisism of what I am doing in my quest to secure pupillage ( taste in literature to one side lol)

Mr Pineapples said...

Let me tell you this; when P had his first pupillage interview - after the usual Advocacy excercises and questions on the law - P was indeed asked to discuss the books He was presently reading.

This also occured in the second interview.

P dazzled them with His knowledge, breadth of learning and indeed his love of Gabriel Garcia Marquez (whom P has never read - He just mentions him to wind folks like you up).

P had 4 interviews and 3 offers.

Be warned.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

climates estoniatel inclination guidethis richer mmde dbfk solicit undecanoate medley firmly
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

coordinator scenes powers cioms supportedin drew orencia gurukrupa weights pratfalls texting
servimundos melifermuly