Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mini Pupillage and first result for the year

My apologies for not posting for a while but as promised I am going to fill you in on the mini pupillage that I completed last week. However before that I will quickly just say that the provisional mark for my coursework for contract law is 65% so a good 2.1 although not as high as I was hoping.

My mini pupillage was very interesting with a few areas of criminal law cropping up which I had not had the opportunity to encounter before, namely fraud and false imprisonment. What was most beneficial was talking to a number of members of chambers who are currently sorting out the OLPAS forms that chamber's has received, and grilling them over what they look for in particular. It was also very helpful to have the opportunity to talk to the current pupils about their experiences at the very junior end of the bar. All in all the barristers I had the pleasure to meet were very friendly, and seemed to be genuinely interested in what I had to say and my experience of the law thus far.

I have to end on a slightly sad note unfortunately and inform you that my outdoor clerking job is no more. This is because the new funding rules have made it uneconomical for solicitors to send clerks to trials anymore. Oh well I think I'll just go straight to working at the bar after my holiday...behind it that is.

All the best, TTFN
BoB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi BoB,

Long time no hear/see!
Hope you're well - you must by now be dead excited about the prospect of the trip down under and hooking up with your girl once again!
65% is a stonking mark - dont be too hard on yourself!!!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your mini and that you had the very useful opportunity to grill members of chambers about OLPAS (I'll bet that, like others up and down the country they are having to plough through HUNDREDS of applications), especially if you intend to apply to the set on the basis that they are pretty much the Chambers of Your Dreams.
Sad to hear that the clerking job has rung down the curtain - isnt there a chance of such a job elsewhere?
For now though, relax, and enjoy your forthcoming wonderful holiday! :)